Frequently Asked Questions



We are unable to provide details on outlets for specific brands, but we can assist you in finding out who the brand owner of a particular product is. For details of where to purchase a particular brand, we would recommend to purchase a copy of either the Harpers wine and spirit directory or the Drinks Business buyer’s guide which will provide you with that information.

We are a trade association which is funded by our members and as such, we can’t recommend specific brands as this would equate to promoting one member’s brands over another’s.

The WSTA does not provide lists of importers, bottlers, producers or wholesalers. To get access to a full list of UK based wine and spirit companies, please purchase a copy of either the Harpers wine and spirit directory and the Drinks Business buyer’s guide which will provide you with that information.

There are various providers of wine and spirit courses in the UK. The main organisation providing such courses in the UK is the Wine and Spirit Education Trust. Click here for further details

Duty is not payable on wine in cases where what is called ‘organoleptic’ tasting by professionals takes place within companies for the purposes of quality control, provided that the wine is not consumed.
Wine used for promotions and for tasting at, for example, trade fairs, shows, exhibitions and supermarkets must be duty-paid.

Membership of the WSTA requires the payment of a yearly membership subscription which is calculated on the basis of your annual turnover of wine and spirit sales and starts from as little as £428.73 +VAT per annum.
For further details on how to join click here

The full list of WSTA Members is available on this page. To date, we have over 340 member companies.

The WSTA does not work for the Government. It is an independent Trade Association which represents the interests of its members who are private businesses.

In Q4 2013, the average off trade retail prices were £4.96 (75cl) on wine, £6.34 on sparkling wine (75cl), £5.88 on fortified wine (75cl) and £12.44 on spirits (70cl).

The main UK wine and spirit trade publication are, Harpers, Off Licence News (OLN), The Drinks Business, The Morning Advertiser, Drinks International, IWSR Magazine, Imbibe and Decanter.

You can download a number of designs from the Challenge 25 page.

Please note that the WSTA does not provide printed versions of the posters – you will have to contact a professional printer to get this done. If you need posters for Bars, Restaurants or any other on-trade premises, please contact the British Beer and Pub Association

It is the location of sale of alcohol which determines who needs to be licensed.

If the alcohol is stored, selected and dispatched to the purchaser from a warehouse then it is the warehouse, and not the call centre, that will need to have a premises license. The warehouse will also need a designated premises supervisor who needs to be a personal license holder.

If however, the alcohol is shipped to the seller’s premises and they then dispatch to their final customer, they will need both a personal licence and a premises licence.

Responsibility for advising on and issuing Licences rests with the local authority in which the business is based. Get in touch with your local authority/council and ask to speak to their Licensing Department for further information. Alternatively, get in touch and we will help.

Excise duty is a UK tax due on all alcohol imported into the UK (or for what is referred to a ‘released for consumption’) regardless of where it is from, whereas Customs Duty is a European tax on alcohol imported from outside the European Union. For example, on a wine imported from Spain excise duty would have to be paid but not customs duty, but on a wine imported from Australia both excise duty and customs duty have to be paid.

We have the largest and broadest membership base of any trade association in our sector;

multi-channel, multi-category, national and international, start-ups through to global brands, the full length of the supply chain. We therefore have a better understanding and are able to represent more of the industry.

With former Cabinet office, Defra, HMRC and Fleet Street staff working at the WSTA, we have good, established communications with and contacts in Government, in Parliament and in the media.

Some of our services include:

Discounted services

Have a voice with the government

Participate in our committees and events